Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dizzy's Eclectic Grooves Vol.1 (see below)

A little bit of background: So I'd been invited onto this very cool website, Naive & Wise, a small but very friendly place filled with lovely people with great taste in music, and they had a server there where we could share each others music. It certainly wasn't a case of getting music for free you have to understand, because altho' it was free to download from it, it cost me a fortune in opening me up to new music which I then had to get for myself - The Go Team & Little Barrie being 2 of many examples that spring to mind. And not being someone who only likes to take I thought about what I should offer up in return. I'd been putting together some compilations for a group of mates - a soul one, a reggae one, jazz, funk, a Blues/RnB one etc - and picked out a selection from those that I thought would go well together and duly put it up on the N&W Server in a folder called "Dizzy's Eclectic Grooves". I then left it up to the people on there to cherry pick from it what they wanted. With 30 tracks to choose from I thought they could make up their own compilations. But Charlie loved 'em all bless him and even made up some artwork for the CD cover - and so was born the first of what was to become a series!

If you take the time to listen to it from start to finish you'll find it starts with 2 classic 60's RnB tunes that I found on a Mod Reggae comp, then goes into reggae with a soulful edge, a bit of classic reggae funk, onto some jazz-tinged reggae and then suddenly you're into hammond jazz with an RnB feel. The jazz section continues into a funky vibe 'til you find yourself on disc 2 where the funk takes you on a trip to some classic 'Northern' soul before melting into classic 60's RnB, finishing up with 2 beautiful Southern Soul tracks from a Dave Godin comp.

If you do download it I hope firstly that you enjoy it, but secondly that it takes you on a journey of discovery where you want to track down and BUY some of the music of the artists featured. There is not a track on this comp that I didn't buy and as Charlie says, if we don't buy music it will die, with the exception of the bland crap that passes as the mainstream - and what sort of world would that be for the rest of us to live in?

No comments: