Thursday, July 17, 2008

What's it all about?

Some time ago on a sadly dormant forum devoted to quality music Diz came up with a compilation called 'Dizzy's Eclectic Grooves'. It was a compilation of all the music that Diz was listening to and playing on his DJ decks at the time. It was hosted on the forums server and enjoyed by its members - one of those members being myself. In fact I enjoyed it so much that I thought I'd have a go at compiling one myself.......and so it began.

We started off with double disc compilations but quickly realised that single discs were much easier to compile. I used my limited skills to design CD cover artwork and within 2 years or so we're now both on our fourth compilation and I'm in the beginnings of the fifth.

The compilations were intially destined only for the forum (Naive & Wise) but soon spread to other fora and have gone down well wherever they've been heard.

There is nothing special about the way we compile the tracks that we include, they are just good quality tunes from across genres, speaking for myself I'm not an avid vinyl collector, I just love good music whether it is on vinyl or compact disc. The tunes do lend themselves to the modernist genre which is where both of our influences lie at the end of the day and include soul, rhythm and blues, reggae, ska, funk, punk, garage, jazz and even electronica.

This blog is basically for the purpose of sharing these compilations with the members of the forums we are found on. If you've stumbled across this forum by chance then fine, I hope you enjoy the comps. You can usually find one or both of us on the unofficial paul weller chat forum here

One last thing, and something very important to think about is if you are here for 'free' music then fine but I hope you go out and buy some of the compilations and albums that these tracks are from and support these artists monetarily. There is no such thing as a free lunch and whichever way you look at it, free music is killing music. It's a great way of hearing new tracks/artists you may not have heard before but to make their music these artists and labels need YOUR support by buying their products. In no way do I advocate file sharing or 'stealing' music from them. I just hope you do as I do when hearing a new track/artist and go out and buy what you like. Without people buying music there will be less made and I don't want to think of a world where music isn't made anymore!

Both of our first efforts will follow shortly and over time all four in the series will be here. This blog will only be updated periodically. There are no release dates/schedules etc, it just happens when it happens.

Peace, out!
Charlie Bravo


1 comment:

lisa said...

ooo, really pleased to see this out there charlie and dizzy!! all the comps are excellent, and they all make their way onto my stereo sounds routinely here in the treehouse!!

definately not to be missed!! lots of love to you both :)

xx lisa (aka spindot)