Tuesday, September 30, 2008

DEGV5 - That's Cool, That's Trash, This Is DEGV5



And here it is - the fifth of Diz' stunning compilations. I'll let Diz do the story-telling, here's what he had to say when I was looking for inspiration for the cover - I'd suggested some sort of movie score/soundtrack, every song was to be relevant to a scene in a fictional movie that hasn't been made yet/never will be made;

I didn't really choose my tracks with a story-telling theme in mind tho'. With me it was more a case of thinking that a few spy-movie-themed tracks would fit in well with the slightly 'trashy-garage' feel I had in mind. What did occur to me as I was putting the running order together tho', and something you could maybe work into the cover art, was how my album would have worked as an old fashioned vinyl double album. 'Side 1', eg the 1st 6 tracks, are kind of held together musically by the organ sound that's prevalent on most of the tracks (mainly the Farfisa Organ I think, tho' not exclusively) and the fact that you have those classic tracks that have been covered and given an interesting alternative take (Roadrunner, Little Red Rooster, Louie Louie). Then 'Side 2' has a strong Garage & Blues flavour. 'Side 3' becomes the movie-spy-comic book-themed part of the album, with Agent oo-Soul, James Bond, Mission Impossible, The FBI & Spider-Man all getting in on the act before culminating in the explosive ending with The Hives. And then the album finishes with the last 5 tracks re-visiting some of the earlier places and themes, and coming full circle with the modern day artists featured. So maybe the cover for mine might work being divided into 4, perhaps a bit like a page from a comic book, where each pane represents 'one side'. How bout that as an idea? See what images you get from listening to it as well, as I'm sure that will help. I'll have a look & think about what images might work for the other panes as well, as I've already sent you one for 'side 3'

Diz was mainly (95%) responsible for the front cover art, that's all his own work and I reckon it looks excellent. My only input this time on coverart was some lighting effects on the front cover pics and the font for the title etc. The back cover follows on from his comic book scene with possibly one of my all time favourite comic book/graphic novel images - from the Watchmen (in vogue at the moment due to the movie being made).

As always there are print quality covers in the zipped file that you will download, don't bother trying to print the images here on the blog as they are just low-res versions.

TRACKLIST
  • 01 The Last Shadow Puppets - Wondrous Place
  • 02 The Caesars - Jerk It Out
  • 03 Inspiral Carpets - Joe
  • 04 The Animals - Roadrunner
  • 05 Sam Cooke (With Billy Preston & Ray Charles) - Little Red Rooster
  • 06 Toots & The Maytals - Louie Louie
  • 07 The Zombies -Out Of Reach
  • 08 The Kingsmen - That's Cool, That's Trash
  • 09 The Sonics - The Witch
  • 10 The Ravonettes - Love In A Trashcan
  • 11 Bo Diddley - Another Sugar Daddy
  • 12 Howlin' Wolf - Who's Been Talking
  • 13 Edwin Starr - Agent Double-O Soul
  • 14 Roland Alphonso - James Bond
  • 15 Jamo Thomas - I Spy For Th F.B.I.
  • 16 Randy's Allstars - Mission Impossible
  • 17 The Ramones - Spider-Man
  • 18 The Hives - Tick Tick Boom
  • 19 The Wailers - Out Of Our Tree
  • 20 The Troggs - From Home
  • 21 Rolling Stones - I'm Free
  • 22 White Stripes - Rag & Bone
  • 23 Kings Of Leon - Trani
download the zip file here and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Charlie Bravo.

PS: My fifth will be on it's way shortly

Peace! Out!



2 comments:

HSB DaveB. said...

This is ACES guys! Keep'em coming!!!

Peace and SOUL,
Dave...

Diz said...

Cheers for the comment Dave - means a lot, esp coming from YOU! :-)

One thing I should point out to everyone is that the front cover artwork is largely that of comic-book/movie genius Frank Miller (he of Sin City, 300 & Batman: Dark Knight Returns fame). I've just knicked his art, put it together and added some words! :-)